As part of our World Around Us topic of Houses and Homes, we began to think about people who don't have a home. Kieran from the Welcome Organisation very kindly came in and spoke to our class. We found out that the Welcome Organisation helps lots of vulnerable people in Belfast. They are based near Castle Court and provide lots of support for homeless people in the city.
We made a list of all the things that the charity does to help people.
- Take them in, give them something to eat and drink and a place to stay
- They give out 44,000 meals every year!! We guessed around 1,000 meals
- They take care of them
- They give them a place to have a shower and give them clean clothes
- Give them a place to contact or go to if they're in trouble
- They let them use phones to call the doctor
- The van goes around the streets to see if there are any homeless people who need some help - they give people tea and coffee, and make sure they are warm enough
- They teach them skills - maths and English, art and craft, skills to help them get jobs
Thank you so much for coming to talk to us today Kieran, we learned a lot!
Unfortunately not the ones with chocolate chips.
Our cookies ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please make your choice!
Some cookies are necessary in order to make this website function correctly. These are set by default and whilst you can block or delete them by changing your browser settings, some functionality such as being able to log in to the website will not work if you do this. The necessary cookies set on this website are as follows:
A 'sessionid' token is required for logging in to the website and a 'crfstoken' token is
used to prevent cross site request forgery.
An 'alertDismissed' token is used to prevent certain alerts from re-appearing if they have been dismissed.
An 'awsUploads' object is used to facilitate file uploads.
We use Matomo cookies to improve the website performance by capturing information such as browser and device types. The data from this cookie is anonymised.
Cookies are used to help distinguish between humans and bots on contact forms on this website.
A cookie is used to store your cookie preferences for this website.Cookies that are not necessary to make the website work, but which enable additional functionality, can also be set. By default these cookies are disabled, but you can choose to enable them below: