As part of our World Around Us topic of Houses and Homes, we began to think about people who don't have a home. Kieran from the Welcome Organisation very kindly came in and spoke to our class. We found out that the Welcome Organisation helps lots of vulnerable people in Belfast. They are based near Castle Court and provide lots of support for homeless people in the city.
We made a list of all the things that the charity does to help people.
- Take them in, give them something to eat and drink and a place to stay
- They give out 44,000 meals every year!! We guessed around 1,000 meals
- They take care of them
- They give them a place to have a shower and give them clean clothes
- Give them a place to contact or go to if they're in trouble
- They let them use phones to call the doctor
- The van goes around the streets to see if there are any homeless people who need some help - they give people tea and coffee, and make sure they are warm enough
- They teach them skills - maths and English, art and craft, skills to help them get jobs
Thank you so much for coming to talk to us today Kieran, we learned a lot!
Click here for more information.